New York will grab you by the hand and take you for a wild ride if you let it. The city has a distinct energy that is hard to avoid. As you all know, I lived in NYC for 11 phenomenal years until our recent move to LA. Traveling back to the city as a visitor was an eye-opening experience. There was so much about the city that I missed, and couldn’t wait to spend the next few days falling back in love with NYC!
I planned an impromptu trip to New York because I was a missing a taste of the Big Apple. As I slowly let people know I was coming to town, in true NYC fashion, my schedule quickly began to fill up. Suddenly my two-night trip turned into three. It was a great visit, and I walked more in those four days than I had in the month prior in Los Angeles.
Visiting NYC during the holidays is always a festive time. The city is decorated beautifully with lights, elaborate window displays and pop-up shops in the parks and on pedestrian walkways with unique gifts. I was fantastic to walk around and reminisce about all the fun I used to have in this city. After chatting with friends about subway delays, rising rents and just the overall cost of living, the sunshine in LA that awaited me did suddenly seem brighter.
321 W. 35th St. NYC
Finding balance in NYC can be difficult. There is so much stimulation: the millions of people in a constant hurry, delicious food everywhere you turn, cocktails and happy hour galore and clubs to dance the night away. I always take comfort in staying at hotels within the IHG family, and for this trip, I called the Even Hotels in Midtown West home. Located just one avenue from the iconic Macy’s dept store, it was easy to zip downtown to visit my old neighborhood, the Financial District, or head uptown to Central Park and Columbus Circle.
It was refreshing to stay at a property that was not only located in the heart of the city but also gave me the opportunity to unwind in a health-conscious way. Each room comes standard with a yoga mat, fitness ball, and its own TRX-esque type system. To keep your workout in the forefront of your mind, there are an array of fitness videos playing in a loop on your television to help jumpstart your day. Basically, there is no excuse not to get your workout on, if even for only 10 mins a day. Additionally, the restaurant has loads of healthy meal options and smoothies to fuel you until good ole happy hour rolls around.
Accelerate with IHG Rewards Club
Staying within the IHG Hotel family has its benefits! As an Elite member, I received a late checkout, free internet, and a complimentary room upgrade. Right now until December 31st, IHG Rewards Club is running a promotion fit for an NYC lifestyle. The Accelerate Promotion will allow you to earn points faster than ever before. You can accumulate bonus points in so many ways that you’ll earn a free night faster than a New York minute. If you are traveling to NYC, check out my travel tips below!
Travel Tips for Your NYC Visit
If you have never been to New York, there is probably a lot you will want to see. Check out my tips to help you prepare for your trip.
- If you want the most touristy experience, then head straight to Time Square. However, if you’re coming to NYC for work, venture out a few blocks in any direction. There you will find a more business-oriented area which also has a wonderful selection of hotels.
- Looking for a local and/or trendy experience, book a room in Chelsea, the West Village, Lower East Side, Tribeca or near Union Square. I love my old neighborhood, the Financial District, and personally feel it provides a good balance of a tourist and local experiences.
- The Subway is your Friend! Just don’t crowd the door, walk slowly down the stairs when the train is coming, or try to get on the train before people can get off, and you’ll do just fine.
- Uber or cabs are both great alternatives. Just be aware that meters do run in traffic and surge pricing can happen at any time.
- If you are lost – a local will happily give you directions. Ask a person walking confidently (without headphones), but who doesn’t seem to be running late, and you’ll find just how helpful a true New Yorker can be!
- There is probably a restaurant to satisfy any and every craving you have. Venture out of your hotel and enjoy some of the best food this country can offer. Wheather it’s a 7-course tasting meal or just a slice of pizza, NYC has it!
- Stay away from chain restaurants! Make a reservation for all places upscale and don’t forget to tip well for excellent service. Remember – this city is expensive.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of IHG Rewards Club. The opinions and text are all mine.
Subscribe for a monthly newsletter and never miss a Busy Wife moment!